5 Easy Camp Breakfast Ideas - Panergy
1. OATMEAL BAR
This simple, hearty breakfast allows everyone in your group to customize their own bowl of oatmeal—and only requires the chef to boil water.
- Instant oatmeal (⅓ c or 1–2 packets per person)
- Add-ins, each prepped and placed in separate containers. Suggested add-ins:
- Dried fruits, like cherries or cranberries
- Freeze-dried fruits, like apples or strawberries
- Chopped nuts, like walnuts or pecans
- Candies, like chocolate chips or mini marshmallows
- Sweeteners, like honey, maple syrup, or brown sugar
- Peanut butter
- 1 bowl and spoon per person
- Set out oatmeal and add-ins on a camp table.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Prepare instant oatmeal in individual bowls according to directions on package.
- Instruct campers to take a bowl and add their desired toppings.
2. BREAKFAST SANDWICHES
Prepare the components of these sandwiches ahead of time, then reheat at camp for a savory start to the day.
Ingredients (makes 4 sandwiches):
- 4 English muffins
- 4 sausage patties OR 4 slices bacon OR 4 slices ham (cooked)
- 4 large eggs, scrambled
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp mayo
- Desired hot sauce
- Tin foil
Instructions (at home, no more than 48 hours before your trip):
- Cook meat, scramble the eggs, and lightly toast English muffins.
- On the bottom half of each muffin add meat, eggs, and one slice of cheese.
- Let sandwiches cool and wrap in tinfoil. Refrigerate.
- Mix mayo and desired hot sauce. Store, refrigerated, in an airtight container.
Instructions (at camp):
- Place sandwiches, still in tin foil wrapper, over high heat on a stove or a grate over a campfire.
- Turn occasionally. It should take about 10 minutes to heat sandwiches through.
- Unwrap sandwiches and spread mayo/hot sauce mixture on bottom English muffin slice, between meat and bread. Serve hot.
3. PB&J PANCAKES
This twist on a classic is just as satisfying as the original. (Just make sure you’re mixing it up with something besides PB&J for lunch!)
- Your favorite pancake mix
- ⅓ c crunchy peanut butter
- Strawberry jam
- Frozen berries, if desired
- Prepare pancake mix according to instructions on the packaging. Add peanut butter to the mixture. Add frozen berries, if desired.
- Drop pancakes, ¼ cup at a time, onto griddle or frying pan heated to medium-high. Cook until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Warm jam to syrupy consistency by placing a sealed jar in hot water for about 10 minutes.
- Serve pancakes hot, smothered in jam.
4. SWEET POTATO HASH
Slice and dice at home, then assemble and cook this recipe in camp for a super-hearty, protein-packed breakfast.
Ingredients (makes about 4 servings):
- 4 cups diced sweet potatoes (frozen works best)
- 12 oz (about 4) chicken apple sausages, or your preferred sausage, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large eggs
- Salt & pepper
- Sriracha or your preferred hot sauce
- Dice all ingredients at home, then store in airtight containers.
- Heat cast-iron pan to medium-high. Add oil and frozen sweet potatoes.
- Saute until potatoes begin to brown, then add onions.
- Add peppers and sausage. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Make 2 small wells in the hash mixture. Crack eggs directly into wells. Scramble until eggs are fully cooked.
- Serve immediately with the hot sauce of your choice.
5. BREAKFAST BURRITOS
Prep these burritos in your home kitchen, then reheat in camp. These are great for a big day of hiking and/or an early start since they’re portable and take just a few minutes to warm up.
Ingredients (makes 4 burritos):
- 4 large tortillas
- 4 large eggs
- 8 slices bacon or 8 breakfast sausage links
- 2 c shredded cheddar or pepper jack
- 2 c frozen hashbrowns
- Your preferred hot sauce
Instructions (at home):
- Cook meat and scramble the eggs. Cook frozen hashbrowns until crispy. Combine with shredded cheese.
- Divide burrito filling evenly onto 4 tortillas.
- Roll burritos and let cool. Wrap in tinfoil.
Instructions (at camp):
- Place sandwiches, still in tinfoil wrapper, over high heat on a stove or a grate over a campfire.
- Heat until warm throughout, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Finish burritos by pressing each side onto a hot cast-iron skillet.
- Serve with preferred hot sauce.